Monday 11 April 2016


Joachim MacDonagh - POW


31 Dec. 1917

Mrs. E. McDonagh
Chapel Road
Ennistymon
Co. Clare
Ireland

My Dear Revd, Father,

Your letter gave me great consolation. May God bless you & bring you safe from the terrible war. Your name is as familiar with us here in Ennistymon as if you were one of our Priests. May God strengthen you to the work of Almighty God & may Our Blessed Lord give Peace to the Nations of the Earth.

I got a card from Joachim. He was taken prisoner & he is in Germany. 22 of Dec. I had the card he said he was well. I also had a notification from France stating he was taken prisoner on 10 of the 11 at the Battle of Epyer & is unwounded. A soldier that was in the same charge told me that he was taken prisoner by the Germans. He was binding up a wounded soldier when they were surrounded. Thank God Father he is not wounded. I was troubled but he is still living & well but the poor prisoners will not get much to eat from the Germans. We are not allowed to send parcels out there but the Ladies Committee at Ennis sends parcels.

Dear Father Gleeson I thank you a thousand times for your kindness to Joachim & for your kindness to the Munsters & may God Bless you.

Dear Father I wish you a happy peaceable & joyful New Year.

Believe me Your obedient child
Ellen McDonagh


PS

My eyes are very weak. Excuse this writing






See the original letters and diary notes

No comments:

Post a Comment