Monday 11 April 2016


Meaney - POW


8 Eccles St.
off Dorset St.
Dublin

23/12/17

Dear Rev. Father,

My most grateful thanks for your beautiful consoling letter and all the trouble you have taken to ascertain the fate of my poor boy. I am most happy to be able to inform you that he is a prisoner in Germany, as he has written to me from there. He was taken on the 10th inst. the day the engagement took place and is in the best of health not having received a scratch in the encounter.

I have gone through untold agonies since I received the information he was missing but went at once to the fount of all consolation and power who sent me within the space of a few days a letter from Geneva from the Red Cross Agency there giving me an entry form an official list sent on from Berlin: Stating he was taken at Ypres unwounded and sent direct to Dulmen Camp. I had previously put in a petition to the S.H. in the Messenger under whose protection he was placed when going out again So had every confidence that this Adorable Heart would bring him safely back to me. He is all I have in the world and the best and kindest creature God ever gave to anyone. He loved you very much and spoke about you in every letter saying how zealous you were for the interests of the souls committed to your care.

I know you will be pleased to hear he is safe. I think he must have a charmed life as he was at the first landing at the Dardanelles being in the 1st Batt. and escaped with a few flesh wounds. I hope you may excuse me for sending you such a long letter. And thanking you from my heart I will pray night and day for you asking God to pour his Heavenly Benediction on you.

Most gratefully yours in the S.H.
Elizabeth Meaney






See the original letters and diary notes

No comments:

Post a Comment