Monday 11 April 2016


W. Hawley - POW


Tralee
Dec – 30th 1917

To Rev. Father Gleeson
Catholic Chaplain
2nd Battn. R.M.Fus.

Rev. Father,

Will you please accept my sincere thanks for your kindly interest on behalf of No. 6463 Pte. W. Hawley. You will be pleased to know I have been notified to the effect that he was taken prisoner & is now in Germany.

You can Rev. Father anticipate my anxiety but your spiritual advice & kind sympathy greatly alleviated my anxiety & grief. My prayer is that God will long spare you in the priestly zeal & spiritual care you are extending to all those under your kind guidance. Should he write to me himself I will lose no time in letting you know. I hope before long that the laurels of success & victory will crown all the noble efforts of you & the brave boys in the battle they have so earnestly fought for & justly won. May God guard you from all danger & harm is the prayer of an anxious Mother.

I remain
Yours respectfully
Mrs. Mary Hawley
No. 4 Davies Place
Moyderwell
Tralee






See the original letters and diary notes

No comments:

Post a Comment